Looking for information on IGP choice in dual-stack networks

Philip Matthews philip_matthews at magma.ca
Thu Jun 4 17:02:06 CEST 2015

Folks:

We are the co-authors of an Internet-Draft of some design choices people need to make when designing IPv6 and dual-stack networks  (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-design-choices).

We are looking for information on the IGP combinations people are running in their dual-stack networks. We are gathering this information so we can document in our draft which IGP choices are known to work well (i.e., people actually run this combination in production networks without issues). The draft will not name names, but just discuss things in aggregate: for example, "there are 3 large and 2 small production networks that run OSPF for IPv4 and IS-IS for IPv6, thus that combination is judged to work well".

If you have a production dual-stack network, then we would like to know which IGP you use to route IPv4 and which you use to route IPv6.  We would also like to know roughly how many routers are running this combination. Feel free to share any successes or concerns with the combination as well.

We are looking particularly at combinations of the following IGPs:  IS-IS, OSPFv2, OSPFv3, EIGRP.
If you run something else (RIP?) then we would also like to hear about this, though we will likely document these differently. [We suspect you run RIP/RIPng only at the edge for special situations, but feel free to correct us].

And if you have one of those modern networks that carries dual-stack customer traffic in a L3VPN or similar and thus don’t need a dual-stacked core, then please email us and brag ...

Philip Matthews
Victor Kuarsingh