google path mtu?

Artem Viklenko artem at viklenko.net
Mon Jan 19 18:03:28 CET 2015

On 19.01.2015 18:42, Brielle Bruns wrote:
> On 1/19/15 5:52 AM, Artem Viklenko wrote:

>>> Well, PPPoE is a tunnel, but I guess that's splitting hairs.
>>>
>>> But regardless, I had trouble this morning with Youtube that might be
>>> related to the same issue.
>>>

>> One possible solution to force TCP MSS. For example on my FreeBSD
>> router at home i used PF's scrub rule for ipv6 tunnel to set
>> mss to 1220 bytes.
>>
>> If you use PPPoE as underlying technology, decrease this vale little
>> bit more - 1212 or less.
>>

> Min MTU size allowable for ipv6 is 1280 according to RFC.  Wouldn't
> setting the MSS size to 1212 or 1220 essentially break that RFC as well
> (1220+40 < 1280) or does the RFC only explicitly state the MTU has to be
> at least 1280?

I'm not shure about RFC right now. But spending time trying to fugure
out why one or the other host can't be successfully reached using ipv6
finnally I stopped on this value. It may be not optimal, but it works
for me.

And indeed the main cause of this is the blocking ICPMv6 at the far end.

--
Sincerely yours,
 Artem Viklenko.