Why do we still need IPv4 when we are migrating to IPv6...

Andrew Gallo akg1330 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 18:54:46 CET 2015

On 2/18/2015 11:04 AM, Phil Mayers wrote:
> On 18/02/15 09:29, Anfinsen, Ragnar wrote:
>
>> A quick example; A good friend of mine is developing a smart
>> fireplace which can be controlled via API's. He do use a 3. party
>> development company to make the controller and API's. They did not
>> even think of IPv6 until I did my 5 minute speech about the
>
> Don't get me started on SCADA systems.

Or me :)

I was consulting on a project and we had written into an RFI questions
about IPv6 support and roadmap for a land mobile radio system that used
a data network to back haul traffic between base stations.

During a presentation, an integrator explained why we need IPv6- because
IPv6 is in hex and we're running out of MAC addresses.

Please don't ask me which vendor the customer ultimately picked.....