Why do we still need IPv4 when we are migrating to IPv6...

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Feb 18 17:04:32 CET 2015

On 18/02/15 09:29, Anfinsen, Ragnar wrote:

> A quick example; A good friend of mine is developing a smart
> fireplace which can be controlled via API's. He do use a 3. party
> development company to make the controller and API's. They did not
> even think of IPv6 until I did my 5 minute speech about the

Don't get me started on SCADA systems.

Based on our own experience here, the companies that make this kind of
equipment are, by and large, wilfully ignorant - and I choose those
words after careful consideration - of the most basic aspects of networking.

It is frightening how badly designed some of this equipment is, and
very, very scary how much of it wants to sit on public IP space to "talk
to the cloud part of the service" these days.

At some point in the next decade, I anticipate enterprise IT departments
doing internal charging for SCADA systems which need public IPv4 space;
we have seen proposals for >500 SCADA nodes needing public IPs in a
single building. New systems, new to market, designed by companies
considered "market leaders" in the product space.

There is a woeful lack of ability in this bit of the industry. I'd love
a big player to come in and blow the market sky high.

Cheers,
Phil