Why do we still need IPv4 when we are migrating to IPv6...

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Feb 13 12:26:50 CET 2015

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015, Thomas Schäfer wrote:

> and the practice in Germany to blocking all IPv6-inbound traffic the
> result is the problem for some gamers.

So I guess applications should use the same technique as one does to
traverse NAT44:s, ie both ends of the connection send packets to each
other to open their respective firewall.

I do agree that the firewall in question needs to not send rejects for
this traffic for this to work. I am happy this use-case was brought up,
because I hadn't heard and thought about this before. Personally I don't
want to silently drop packets, so I guess clients need to try a few times
and not listen to the (initial) ICMP messages until the "hole" is open.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se