Why do we still need IPv4 when we are migrating to IPv6...

Olaf.Bonness at telekom.de Olaf.Bonness at telekom.de
Thu Feb 12 14:33:38 CET 2015

Inline below.

-----Original Message-----
From: ipv6-ops-bounces+olaf.bonness=telekom.de at lists.cluenet.de [mailto:ipv6-ops-bounces+olaf.bonness=telekom.de at lists.cluenet.de] On Behalf Of Gert Doering
Sent: Donnerstag, 12. Februar 2015 14:14
To: Anfinsen, Ragnar
Cc: Steinar H. Gunderson; IPv6 Ops list
Subject: Re: Why do we still need IPv4 when we are migrating to IPv6...

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 01:11:21PM +0000, Anfinsen, Ragnar wrote:
> However, we are there soon, but it does not change the fact that we
> still need to keep our IPv4 running, due to the slow movement of many
> content providers.

Amen.  Frustrating as it is.

I wonder if it would make a difference if big eyeballs ISPs ("among the
3 largest in a country") would start talking to content providers, telling them "hey, you know, your content is quite popular with our users, but since it's v4-only, we need to seriously throttle it to avoid overloading our CGN.  v6 goes unlimited, btw."...

just dreaming...

[Obo]: Nice idea :). However content is king and your customer hotline will turn red because of people blaming you as ISP.