Why do we still need IPv4 when we are migrating to IPv6...

Anfinsen, Ragnar Ragnar.Anfinsen at altibox.no
Thu Feb 12 14:11:21 CET 2015

On 12.02.15, 01.11, "Steinar H. Gunderson" <sesse at google.com> wrote:

>On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 08:42:00PM +0000, Anfinsen, Ragnar wrote:
>> I am working with my management team to implement IPv6, but I got an
>> interesting question from one of the managers; Why do we need more IPv4
>>if
>> we are moving towards IPv6?
>
>Maybe because the move is going too slowly?
>
>Case in point: http://goo.gl/q4EGQ3 shows disappointingly little Altibox,
>even though you've been talking about IPv6 for the last five years, at
>least.
>Maybe it's time to stop going opt-in :-)

Thank you for your thoughts, Steinar. This really helps me answer my
management team on why we should not need more IPv4 in the future... ;)

Kidding aside. Sure, we are late, and we have the same challenges which
many others have; having to reinvest and rebuild to get true Dual Stack.
However, we are there soon, but it does not change the fact that we still
need to keep our IPv4 running, due to the slow movement of many content
providers.

/Ragnar