SV: Why do we still need IPv4 when we are migrating to IPv6...

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Feb 12 13:59:03 CET 2015

On 12/02/15 12:40, erik.taraldsen at telenor.com wrote:
>> This might be so in Norway. In German customer portals the gamers mostly
>> demand ipv4 (public ipv4 address to their home) instead of DS-Lite. They
>> have already native IPv6 but avm was forced to allow "teredo" over DS
>> and DS-lite - because xbox has problems with native IPv6.
>>
>> xbox is no good example for *wanting* IPv6.
>
> Could you elaborate on the IPv6 issues for xbox?  I was under the impresion
> that xbox works well with IPv6.

The Teredo implementation used for person2person connectivity in Xbox
One does not have relays. That is, you can't talk Native IPv6 -> XB1 Teredo.

The implication is that, unless all parties in an XB1 session have
native IPv6, all parties will fall back to Teredo-over-IPv4. As such,
you need working Teredo/IPv4 for XB1 today, as you're very likely to
need to execute this fallback.

Given that Teredo relays were the unreliable bit, I can't fault this.

The XB1 Teredo stuff is actually quite a reasonable approach.

Cheers,
Phil