Why do we still need IPv4 when we are migrating to IPv6...

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Feb 12 09:16:14 CET 2015

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015, Anfinsen, Ragnar wrote:

> So, any thoughts on this topic, and any qualified guesses on when we no
> longer need to do IPv4 and still be able to call our internet product
> premium?

Depends. Are you selling Internet access for data center hosting, for
business or for residential or for some other customer base?

If you want to support "power users" with your "premium product", then I'd
imagine you need IPv4 address on your services for at least 5 more years.
There are use cases where power residential/business users can't get their
applications running with port forwarding etc with CGN where multiple
customers share a single IPv4 address.

If you want to support 90% of the residential customer base, and perhaps
50-80% of the corporate one, then I'd say you could stick them behind CGN
of some kind right now. You decide if that would be "Premium" or not.

For data center, just charge extra for the IPv4 address and it'll sort out
itself. Generally I would do the same across the entire customer base,
start charging extra for GUA IPv4 address and then you'll see what
customers care and who do not. Even it you charge a few EUR per month, the
people who do not care will not opt for this, and you can stick them
behind CGN. The ones who do pay will pay enough so you can rent or buy
IPv4 addresses if you don't free up enough of them with your existing
customers being moved behind CGN.

When you roll new customers to behind a CGN I would highly recommend to
provide IPv4 connectivity by means of tunneling it over IPv6, such as
lw4o6, MAP-E or alike.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se