IPv6 Dynamic Prefix Problems

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Wed Dec 16 13:16:41 CET 2015

On 2015-12-16 13:09, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 01:01:19PM +0100, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>> Routing scaling research will be fun, but in the end, that is the only
>> real way to handle that situation.
>
> Dual-PA multihoming works, and has a number of extra benefits that you
> cannot get with PI - like, applications can decide which ISP to use
> ("bittorrent on cable, ssh on LTE") by selecting the corresponding
> source address.

The hack for selecting which uplink to use is what some people think is
what they should use QoS for, forgetting that the other side and
intermediaries will have no idea about what the QoS fields mean.

> It's not something that would work for an enterprise network, but as soon
> as the "we need persistant addresses!" phase of denial is over, it's a great
> solution for SoHo networks.  And yes, been there, tested OpenWRT HNCP
> implementation, liked the result.

Homenet (for homes as it and you say) is a good start indeed though
primarily addresses outbound traffic.

DynDNS can 'solve' inbound connectivity but the world would be so much
better off if it actually used SRV so one could publish preferences that
way.

Greets,
 Jeroen