IPv6 Dynamic Prefix Problems

Liviu Pislaru liviu.pislaru at rcs-rds.ro
Wed Dec 16 12:03:42 CET 2015

Johannes,

I've read your blog post and i fully agree that DNS changes (dynamic
DNS) and dynamic IPv6 allocation for LAN (DHCP-PD) is a big issue.
Couple of years ago i addressed this issue and came up with a personal
solution (you can test it and use it for free if you want).
https://www.duiadns.net/ipv6-for-lan-feature

regards,
--
Liviu P.

On 2015-12-16 11:33, Johannes Weber wrote:

> Hello ipv6-ops,
>
> what are your experiences with dynamic IPv6 prefixes? Here in Germany, several ISPs only offer dynamic /56 prefixes that change after a router reboot. Of course, for "normal" end-users this is not a problem. But for companies having several remote offices behind such ISP lines, this is a problem. (And of course, for me as a network guy, too. ;))
> I encounter several problems with this type of dynamic prefixes and summarized them here:
> http://blog.webernetz.net/2015/10/27/ipv6-dyn-prefix-problems/ [1]
>
> 1) Many DNS changes for services behind the dyn prefix (not all devices are able to update DNS records)
> 2) Security policies with DynDNS ranges (how to allow a dyn IPv6-range in other firewall policies?)
> 3) Routing inside IPv6 VPN tunnels (solved with OSPFv3, but maybe not optimal?)
>
> I am highly interested in others experience about dynamic prefixes. How do you solve these problems, e.g., when a company has several remote offices with dynamic prefixes?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Johannes
> --
>
> Johannes Weber