Google no longer returning AAAA records?

gboonie gboonie at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 09:04:23 CEST 2015

Lorenzo Colitti schreef op 16-4-2015 om 2:57:

> For the avoidance of mystery: Google performs measurements of IPv6
> connectivity and latency on an ongoing basis. The Google DNS servers
> do not return AAAA records to DNS resolvers if our measurements
> indicate that for users of those resolvers, HTTP/HTTPS access to
> dual-stack Google services is substantially worse than to equivalent
> IPv4-only services. "Worse" covers both reliability (e.g., failure to
> load a URL) and latency (e.g., IPv6 is 100ms worse than IPv4 because
> it goes over an ocean). The resolvers must also have a minimum query
> volume, which is fairly low.

A free hint to Google to help the industry:

If a network engineer could prove to have control of the DNS in a
network by adding some record (txt?) that Google would verify, a account
could be created at google which would provide a list of IPs causing the
trouble.

That would help the network team to find the users causing the AAAA
blacklisting and fix the issue. And that would help Google too. A win win?

Or did I misunderstand something?

Dave