Google no longer returning AAAA records?

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.email
Fri Apr 17 07:56:38 CEST 2015

On 4/16/15 10:22 PM, Frank Habicht wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 4/17/2015 6:45 AM, Erik Kline wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 12:28 PM, Brian E Carpenter
>>> But the incentive is wrong. Forcing users to drop back to IPv4 offers
>>> no incentive to fix the IPv6 problem. The correct incentive would be to
>>> tell an operator that they will be blacklisted unless they fix {X and Y}.
>>
>> We almost never know what X or Y are.  We only detect that there
>> appears to be a problem.
>
> maybe just a short email to the whois contacts (some really read them)
> "we have noticed something wrong with your IPv6, we're now not giving
> AAAA to these resolvers: x.x.x.x/y" and maybe a link to a test site...
>
> without that you're lowering chances of it being fixed. with that email
> you increase them.

They also increase chances of the operator trying drag Google into an
IPv6 helpdesk role.

I don't like Google's policy on this, and I'm not sure it's what I would
do, but I see their point.

Doug

--
I am conducting an experiment in the efficacy of PGP/MIME signatures.
This message should be signed. If it is not, or the signature does not