Cost of IPv6 for IT operations team

Jens Link lists at quux.de
Mon Apr 13 22:51:35 CEST 2015

Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at ipinc.net> writes:

sorry for the delayed answer. I was quite busy doing non IPv6 stuff ;-)

> Kind of like you drafted Billy Joe Bob from Hayseed to troubleshoot your
> 2015 Chevy Volt and it extended the time troubleshooting because he's
> still looking for the carburetor.

This pretty much describes some (many?) of the admins I sometimes
encounter. When I have to explain to the so called network guru (of an
Cisco only network) how to configure SNMP on a Nexus switch or how to
configure DNS on Windows to some Windows experts (and people who know
will know that I don't like windows and try not to touch windows) how to
configure DNS on windows something is wrong.

> We live in a complex world that's getting more complex every day.  If
> you want to be a tech, then deal with it, up your game.

Don't tell that to me. Tell it to the majority of so called admins
running all those systems out in there . And tell it to their bosses.

A friend told me about a presentation about Exchange 2012 (or whatever
the current version is): "Learn powershell or start looking for a new
job!" was one of the things the guy from M$ said. My guess: We'll see
many old Exchange installations in the next years.

> When your spending the same effort hitting the books as you are
> playing Warcraft then I'll have some sympathy.  Otherwise go join the
> line of people sucking off the social services.

At least here in Germany they will be most probably trained to do IT. A
friend was teaching one of these courses and he asked me to talk about
Nagios and network monitroíng for an afternoon. There were 2 or 3 people
really interested. The rest was sleeping (which was fine) or
complained. I think the worst thing I've said was "learn enough english
to understand the documentation."

Jens