SMTP over IPv6 : gmail classifying nearly all IPv6 mail as spam since 20140818

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.email
Tue Nov 4 18:01:18 CET 2014

On 11/4/14 1:43 AM, Matija Grabnar wrote:
> OK, now I see that we come from fundamentally opposite viewpoints.
>
> I'm arguing about what measures it makes sense to use to get good
> protection while still enabling people to use their residential internet
> for more than just consumption, while you are determined to block all
> email originating from residential addresses, regardless of validity or
> how well the servers are run.

Right-o! :)  You see, the problem is that even if a tiny percentage of
mail is originating from well-run servers in consumer space, the
overwhelming majority of it is spam, primarily from infected hosts. So
never mind rDNS (which is a very cheap and useful initial test to
perform), most ISPs publish indexes of their residential space to allow
the larger mail providers to blacklist that space up front.

> Since our goals are exactly opposite, I don't think we'll ever see
> eye-to-eye on what steps are appropriate.

It's fine for you not to agree, as long as you understand the landscape.
:)  Several others have already given you the excellent advice to get a
cheap VPS and do your thing(s) on a network that is well supported for
those things. If you're interested I'm sure we can find you some solid
recommendations. Make sure that you find out in advance what address
space you'll be on. That way you can check the reputation lists in
advance. It would suck to get on a new system only to find that still
can't send mail.

Good luck,

Doug