SV: Some very nice IPv6 growth as measured by Google

erik.taraldsen at telenor.com erik.taraldsen at telenor.com
Mon Nov 3 15:04:41 CET 2014

I work with the residential gateways in Telenor Norway.  We have two linux based Zyxel devices which support IPv6 native.  We have done pilot trials since approx Easter, and since this summer we have started rolling out IPv6 where we can.  Not all dslams support IPv6 native, and there is other restrictions as well.  But we will be able to provide IPv6 to a majority of the user base within the year.  Given that the user has a IPv6 capable RG.

We have some trouble understanding the September dip in the graph, as we have not done a rollback.  We were in fact rolling out in that time period.
http://stats.labs.apnic.net/ipv6/AS2119?a=2119&c=NO&x=0&s=1&p=1&w=10&s=0

As for lessons learned, start slow. Try and catch as many bugs as possible before doing a large scale roll out.  Even when hitting bugs, try and understand user impact before panicking.  Browsers has pretty aggressive "happy eyeballs" algorithms, so you can get away with some (seldom occurring) bugs in production.

We use the same principle for IPv6 security as for IPv4 security.  Meaning state full firewall blocking all incoming traffic, allowing all outgoing.  But the user has full control to do as she likes.

-Erik Taraldsen