ratools for protocol hackers and network engineers

Dan Luedtke mail at danrl.de
Fri May 23 18:27:53 CEST 2014

Hi guys,

i think we need more (at least two) and better (at least trying to
stick to the RFCs) IPv6 software for the most important tasks in the
network. One example is the sending of RAs. I was not satisfied with
what was on the market and decided to write an alternative. Now
administrators have more choice. But I am also an IPv6 hacker, this is
why I added an "experimental option" to the software. This is for the
guys from ipv6-hackers, 6man, ipv6-ops and all those who love to use
super-exotic mega-special options in their RAs :)

Here is an example to to advertise a manually crafted link-MTU option
on interface "dummy0":

    # Router Advertisement `ra at dummy0'
    ra at dummy0 create
    ra at dummy0 set minimum-interval 0h0m3s
    ra at dummy0 set maximum-interval 0h0m10s
    ra at dummy0 enable

    # Experimental Option `exp0 at dummy0':
    exp0 at dummy0 create
    exp0 at dummy0 set type 5
    exp0 at dummy0 set payload 00000000ff00
    exp0 at dummy0 enable

Result: http://bayimg.com/GaoGMAAFf

Now think of all the cool things we can craft to confuse nodes on the
link!

Learn more about ratools:
- Repository: https://github.com/danrl/ratools
- Documentation: https://www.nonattached.net/ratools/index.html

Cheers and thank you for your kind attention!

Dan

Protip: Make use of the new bash completion script!