Residential subscribers: numbered or unnumbered?

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Wed Mar 26 10:33:11 CET 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 10:28:06PM -0400, Philip Matthews wrote:
> Are these PPPoE or IPoE deployments?

PPPoE for the large-scale DSL deployments in DE.

"Cable" for the large-scale cable deployments :-) (As far as I know, cable
has a shared /64 on the WAN side).

> And more importantly, any insights as to WHY they went this route? Were the other options considered?

No idea about the reasoning behind.  *Our* small-scale deployment truly
doesn't count, as everything is fully managed and fixed-config on the CPE
(so neither SLAAC nor DHCPv6 involved), mostly due to "when we set this
up, DHCPv6 didn't exist in IOS" and we never came around to rebuilding the
plattform...

> For IPoE with RA/SLAAC, I am curious to know how the provider learns of an address on the CPE for pings or whatever?  Or do they just not care?

I have no idea how TR69 management works (will the CPE just call in?),
but besides that, in those large-scale deployments I know about, the
ISP couldn't care less - most CPEs are unmanaged.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444           USt-IdNr.: DE813185279