the SDN/NFV & stateful/stateless paradox

Tassos Chatzithomaoglou achatz at forthnet.gr
Thu Mar 20 07:34:51 CET 2014

I'm thinking out loud....

>From one side, the industry is trying to promote the SDN/NFV model vs the traditional appliance-per-service one.
>From the other side, the same industry is trying to promote the stateless model vs the stateless one regarding the IPv6 transition.

For an NFV perspective, i can see the DS-Lite solution being a better representative than Lw4o6/MAP, since it can "transfer" much more functionality (NAT) from the CPE to a compute server, making the virtual CPE a closer reality.
So, if the compute power keeps on increasing (while at the same time cost starts decreasing),  is there a chance in the near future we start re-thinking of changing our "IPv6-state" preferences?
Or IPv6 transition mechanisms won't even exist when that happens?

--
Tassos