Microsoft: Give Xbox One users IPv6 connectivity

Eric Vyncke (evyncke) evyncke at cisco.com
Thu Mar 13 20:12:54 CET 2014

Jakob

What annoys me more if the fact that AVM (and they are not the only one --
see Technicolor & others) naively believes that NAT44 offered some
security by preventing inbound connections... This means that there is NO
open connectivity between two X/Box behind a closed AVM CPE... Hence X/Box
has no choice and is smart enough to fall back in the legacy NAT44 mode
with a TURN (or in this case Teredo) to bypass NAT. A very nice
opportunity to run man-in-the-middle attack on a foreign ground.

I still wonder why people REALLY believe in the security of NAT (in the
sense of blocking inbound connections) in 2014 while most of the botnet
members are behind a NAT...

Christopher and others => you are RIGHT! Do not change your mind

-éric (see also
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-balanced-ipv6-security-01 for
my point of view :-))