problem with www.xbox.com / akamai

niels=cluenet at bakker.net niels=cluenet at bakker.net
Sat Jun 14 19:12:02 CEST 2014

* dougb at dougbarton.us (Doug Barton) [Sat 14 Jun 2014, 19:03 CEST]:
>It's not just you, I'm experiencing the same from both a FreeBSD and
>an Ubuntu host on dramatically different networks (one in LA, one in
>Omaha). What's more interesting to me is that 'ping www.xbox.com'
>works, as does 'ping6 www.yahoo.com' which has just as many CNAMEs
>in its chain (albeit they are not going to Akamai).

The problem isn't the amount of CNAMEs, the problem is Microsoft's
broken nameserver implementation.

Compare 'dig +trace a www.xbox.com' with 'dig +trace aaaa www.xbox.com'.
Basic DNS troubleshooting.

If you ping at most 300 seconds before you ping6 the latter will
succeed, if you start from an empty cache and ping6 first, it will
fail to resolve until you ping.

	-- Niels.

--
"It's amazing what people will do to get their name on the internet,
 which is odd, because all you really need is a Blogspot account."