IPv6 packets with HBH

Eric Vyncke (evyncke) evyncke at cisco.com
Wed Jul 9 11:47:27 CEST 2014

Yannis

While I cannot speak for all vendors or even for all of my employer's
products, you will indeed find that control-plane policing (=
rate-limiting) is either on by default or can be configured on most
routers.

Alternatively, you may want to use plain ACL to drop all those
potentially-harmful packets with HbH.

You probably know that HbH is also used on the local link for MLD and on
the WAN for RSVP (and possibly for other purposes). So, be sure to
understand your own use before configuring drop/rate limiting ;-)

Rate-limiting is really the way to go IMHO. A platform which processes HbH
without rate-limiting (and there are such platforms) should NOT be
deployed on the wild Internet.

Hope that this belated reply helps

-éric