question about IPv6-DNS-nameserver link-local (with Interface-name)

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Jul 1 18:55:01 CEST 2014

Thomas Schäfer <thomas at cis.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

> Opensuse/NetworkManager writes to /etc/resolv.conf
>
> nameserver fe80::d27a:b5ff:fe7b:e152%wlan0
>
> So far so good.
> But not all applications accept this DNS-Resolver.
>
> "host" and "dig" make problems.
>
> But I am not sure, where is the bug?

I think the bug is that host and dig fail to read the scope on the
link-local address. (This is a bug in the BIND lwres resolv.conf
parser which dig and host use.)

> Is it ok, to assign link-local-addresses in /etc/resolv.conf?

I think most libc resolvers handle them correctly. Your milage will
obviously vary with other code. For example, ldns also fails to handle
scoped IPv6 addresses.

Tony.
Tyne, West Dogger: Variable 3 or 4, becoming southerly 4 or 5 later. Slight.
Fair. Good.