IPV6_RECVPKTINFO not working for IPv4-mapped addresses on Linux?

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Wed Jan 22 18:10:17 CET 2014

On 22/01/2014 16:54, Francis Dupont wrote:
>  - there is no standard/portable way to do this without the one
>   socket per address in IPv4 (if you need an argument, just ask what
>   this discussion is about :-)

i thought recvfrom() fixed this issue?  Forgive me if I'm wrong here - it's
been far too long since I've done any socket related stuff.

> => BIND polls from time to time interfaces to bind() to new addresses
> (again, there is no standard/portable way to be notified. BTW we (ISC)
> know this is a point which can be improved so if you know a generic
> simple solution...)

server.c:load_configuration() has:

        interface_interval = cfg_obj_asuint32(obj) * 60;

which means that the granularity for interface rescanning is per-minute.
I'm not suggesting that per-second rescan would be a good idea, but
per-minute is too long for workable failover with vrrp.

Nick