IPV6_RECVPKTINFO not working for IPv4-mapped addresses on Linux?

Benedikt Stockebrand bs at stepladder-it.com
Mon Jan 20 13:49:56 CET 2014

Hi Gert and list,

Gert Doering <gert at space.net> writes:

> So I would activate both IPPROTO_IPV6/IPV6_RECVPKTINFO *and*
> SOL_IP/IP_PKTINFO, and depending on the "real" address family I'll see
> one or the other?

I've run into this sort of problems a few years ago, but I used a
different solution: I didn't use mapped addresses but two separate
sockets, one for IPv4 and another for IPv6.  It isn't nice, but it
sorted out the problem in a way that worked on all platforms I tested
without any problems or #ifdefs or whatever.

Of course, the key question then is how much trouble is it to fix that
in the existing application code base.

Cheers,

    Benedikt

--
Benedikt Stockebrand,               Stepladder IT Training+Consulting
Dipl.-Inform.                       http://www.stepladder-it.com/

	Business Grade IPv6 --- Consulting, Training, Projects