IPV6_RECVPKTINFO not working for IPv4-mapped addresses on Linux?

Hannes Frederic Sowa hannes at stressinduktion.org
Mon Jan 20 13:02:08 CET 2014

Hi!

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 11:45:09AM +0100, Tore Anderson wrote:
> * Hannes Frederic Sowa
>
> > Let me cook up a patch this week and depending on the size we maybe can
> > get this into stable.
>
> Wow, that¹ was fast, thanks! \o/

The reason why I hurried is that 3.13 just got released which, is normally
followed by a 1-2 week merge pause for new features.

> [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.network/301135
>
> How do you rate the chances of it going into stable? Or will it be
> targeted at 3.14, do you think?

In its current form, not so good. If you can tell me specific software
that *breaks*, I can ask. At first I thought I might be able to just
switch an 'if' but the patch got a bit more complex.

> Tore (who needs this to be able to dual-stack his UDP OpenVPN servers)

Maybe the workaround with IPv4 PKT_INFO does help for the time being.

The patch is en route to 3.14 currently.

Greetings,

  Hannes