MTU handling in 6RD deployments

Templin, Fred L Fred.L.Templin at boeing.com
Fri Jan 17 17:25:49 CET 2014

Hi Mikael,

But, if the BR doesn't examine the packet it could get caught up
in a flood-ping initiated by a malicious CE.

> My bad, I didn't read your text properly. Why would the BR want to
> rate-limit data plane traffic?

I am considering a specific ping rather than an ordinary data packet
as a way for the BR to know whether the CE is testing the MTU vs
whether it is just looping back packets. If the BR knows the CE is
testing the MTU, it can send ping replies subject to rate limiting
so a malicious CE can't swamp the BR with excessive pings.

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.templin at boeing.com