MTU handling in 6RD deployments

Templin, Fred L Fred.L.Templin at boeing.com
Fri Jan 17 16:57:04 CET 2014

Hi Mark,

In that section, I see:

   "The link-local
   address of a 6rd virtual interface performing the 6rd encapsulation
   would, if needed, be formed as described in Section 3.7 of [RFC4213].
   However, no communication using link-local addresses will occur."

So, if we were to construct the pings from the IPv6 level we would
want to use link-local source and destination addresses. But, that
raises a question that would need to be addressed - should the pings
be constructed at the IPv6 level, the IPv4 level, or some mid-level
like SEAL?

One other thing about this is that we are specifically not testing
to determine an exact path MTU. We are only trying to answer the
binary question of whether or not the tunnel can pass a 1500 byte
IPv6 packet.

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.templin at boeing.com