MTU handling in 6RD deployments

Templin, Fred L Fred.L.Templin at boeing.com
Fri Jan 17 00:00:41 CET 2014

Hi Sander,

The difference is that a PTB is a negative acknowledgement from a
router on the path from the BR to the CE, while a ping reply is a
positive acknowledgment from the CE itself. But, I failed to mention
that the ping would have DF=1, so it would give advantages of both,
i.e., a negative confirmation if the ping is too big for the path
MTU or a positive confirmation that the path MTU is sufficient.

The key is that we want to probe the path between the BR and CE
(in both directions) *before* allowing regular data packets to
flow. We want to know ahead of time whether to allow large packets
into the tunnel or whether we need to shut the MTU down to 1480
(or 1472 or something) and clamp the MSS. Because, once we
restrict the tunnel MTU hosts will be stuck with a degenerate
MTU indefinitely or at least for a long time.

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.templin at boeing.com