MTU handling in 6RD deployments

Templin, Fred L Fred.L.Templin at boeing.com
Tue Jan 7 16:36:09 CET 2014

6RD could use SEAL the same as any tunneling technology. SEAL makes
sure that packets up to 1500 get through no matter what, and lets
bigger packets through (as long as they fit the first-hop MTU) with
the expectation that hosts sending the bigger packets know what they
are doing. It works as follows:

  - tunnel ingress pings the egress with a 1500 byte ping
  - if the ping succeeds, the path MTU is big enough to
    accommodate 1500s w/o fragmentation
  - if the ping fails, use fragmentation/reassembly to
    accommodate 1500 and smaller
  - end result - IPv6 hosts always see an MTU of at least 1500

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-templin-intarea-seal

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.templin at boeing.com