MTU handling in 6RD deployments

Simon Perreault simon.perreault at viagenie.ca
Tue Jan 7 15:59:29 CET 2014

Le 2014-01-07 08:46, Jean-Francois.TremblayING at videotron.com a écrit :
> In the list of "tricks", you might want to add:
> * Slightly raise the ICMPv6 rate-limit values for your 6RD BR (we do 50/20)

Yeah, this is really problematic. When IPv6 packets arrive at the BR
from the Internet, the BR needs to send too bigs so that the remote node
can do PMTUD correctly and figure out the 1480 MTU. If you rate-limit
those too bigs, you create black holes. You need to expect a lot of too
bigs to be generated by the BR in regular operation, even if the CPE
uses tricks such as TCP MSS adjustment or advertising 1480 in RA,
because we still need to live with non-TCP traffic and nodes that don't
understand the MTU param in RAs.

Simon
--
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca