Poll on SMTP over IPv6 Usage

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Wed Feb 19 05:29:51 CET 2014

On 02/18/2014 07:55 PM, SM wrote:
> Hi Doug,
> At 17:52 18-02-2014, Doug Barton wrote:
>> My point is that all the hooha about "We can't do mail over IPv6
>> because we can't do IP address reputation" seems to be nonsense. There
>> are plenty of ways to do spam filtering that don't involve keeping a
>> log of every single IP address that sends spam.
>
> People are used to blocking spam by IPv4 address.  That makes it
> difficult to explain that it is no longer the better way for IPv4
> connections, and nowadays for IPv6 connections.

Sorry I wasn't clear, but my post was already long enough. I understand
that blocking spam by IPv4 address hasn't been an effective solution by
itself for many years now, and I understand that the vendors are crying
foul because IPv6 makes their snake oil sales harder.

My purpose was to offer some actual concrete numbers from a mail server
that's hit relatively hard with spam, to demonstrate that the entire
argument of "We can't filter spam on IPv6" is specious. :)

Doug