Poll on SMTP over IPv6 Usage

S.P.Zeidler spz at serpens.de
Mon Feb 17 13:58:09 CET 2014

Thus wrote emilio brambilla (emilio at ngi.it):

> PS it's very odd to see so much sendmail on this list, where I would
> bet to see something more cutting-edge even on the software side!

for infrastructure, you run "bleeding edge" for two reasons:
a) you have no choice, it's the only thing that will meet the requirements
b) you are terminally bored and don't mind if stuff breaks, it'll
   relieve the boredom

It seems that not many run mail servers in category a, and there's even
less list participants in category b.

Sendmail, today, is mostly a "meh, it's there" choice, and does its job
reliably well enough, as do the other common open source MTAs.
Sendmail does have an advantage if/when you e.g. have uucp connections
or need to fold, spindle and mutilate mail headers in other exiting ways.

regards,
	spz
--
spz at serpens.de (S.P.Zeidler)