Question about IPAM tools for v6

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Mon Feb 3 12:32:40 CET 2014

On 3 Feb 2014, at 11:17, Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> wrote:

> On 03/02/2014 11:11, Sam Wilson wrote:
>> Let me de-lurk and make the obvious point that using standard Ethernet
>> addressing would limit the number of nodes on a single link to 2^47, and
>> that would require every unicast address assigned to every possible
>> vendor.  Using just the Locally Administered addresses would limit you
>> to 2^46.
>
> it bothers me that I can't find any switch with 2^46 ports.
>
> Damned vendors.

The back of my envelope says that with my vendor of choice and a 4-deep tree (7-hop old-style STP limit) of 384-port switches I can't get more than about 2^34 edge ports.  Very disappointing.  That would need approximately 57 million routers, though, and 170 GW of electrical power, not counting the cooling requirements.

--
Sam Wilson
Communications Infrastructure Section, IT Infrastructure

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.