Enterprise Dual Stack without IPv6 Transit

Steve Housego Steve.Housego at itps.co.uk
Tue Dec 9 17:27:15 CET 2014

Hi,

I'm looking at a scenario for a client and looking for some help to ratify my thoughts around IPv6 and the client behaviour. I don't have access to anyone with any real-world IPv6 experience, at least in the enterprise.

First a bit of background, a client of mine is looking to deploy Microsoft DirectAccess and as part of that we are planning to Dual Stack IPv6 the path between the direct access clients (who are IPv6 only) instead of being reliant on NAT64/DNS64 which is provided by the DirectAccess Server. (this will be with GUA addressing they already have a /32 allocation from RIPE)

They do not however (yet) have an IPv6 internet connection.

Whilst I'm confident this will work well for the server/client communication, all the servers that are DualStacked (including the AD/DNS servers) will they have any sort of performance impact when attempting to reach public internet dual-stacked websites? i.e. as it has a global unicast address will it prefer IPv6 and try to reach it with IPv6 first which will obviously fail and then use IPv4?

My second question which is a bit more Microsoft centric - but worth asking - Is there likely to be some issue's with the DirectAccess clients trying to access the IPv4 internet (which is all tunneled through the DA server).. as the DNS server will likely return a 'true' IPv6 address in the DNS response to the client, this bit further boggles me as it needs to be DNS64/NAT64 for this traffic. Im going to lab this up, but if anyone has any comments/advice on enabling IPv6 internally first without having public IPv6 reachability it'd be most grateful.

SteveH

[http://www.it-ps.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/itps-logo.png]

"Helping Your ICT Budget Deliver to its Maximum Potential"

Steve Housego
Principal Consultant

IT Professional Services
Axwell House
Waterside Drive
Metrocentre East Business Park
Gateshead
Tyne & Wear NE11 9HU

T. 0191 442 8300
F. 0191 442 8301

Steve.Housego at itps.co.uk<mailto:Steve.Housego at itps.co.uk>

Check out our new website at www.it-ps.com <http://www.it-ps.com/> and see how we can help your IT budget deliver more for less.

[http://itpswebhost01.it-ps.com/customer_images/itps/twitter]<http://twitter.com/#!/itpsltd>  [http://itpswebhost01.it-ps.com/customer_images/itps/facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/pages/ITPS/180607505381380>   [http://itpswebhost01.it-ps.com/customer_images/itps/linkedin] <http://uk.linkedin.com/in/itpsltd>

Company No. 3930001<tel:3930001> registered in England
VAT No. 734 1935 33<tel:734%201935%2033>