IPv6-only residential service (MAP, lw4o6)

Ca By cb.list6 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 17:24:55 CET 2014

Hi,

On Friday, December 5, 2014, Yannis Nikolopoulos <dez at otenet.gr> wrote:

>  On 12/05/2014 05:48 PM, Lorenzo Colitti wrote:
>
>  On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 10:30 PM, Yannis Nikolopoulos <dez at otenet.gr
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','dez at otenet.gr');>> wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering, have people deployed IPv6-only residential services? I
>> know of a couple of DS-lite implementations, but we'd be more interested to
>> hear about network operators deploying either MAP or lightweight 4over6
>> (not just trials though, but actual commercial services)
>>

>  Softbank (Japan) launched an IPv4-over-IPv6 service in August 2012. They
> use what looks to me to be an IPv4-in-IPv6 tunnel, but could be just a
> particular case of MAP-E with no portset. The service is up to 1G down / 1G
> up and they do encapsulation in hardware in a proprietary CPE.
>

> I remember them deploying 6rd, but I could be wrong.
>
> We're considering MAP or lw4o6. The

Those and ds-lite are good. Ds-lite is clearly more deployed and mature on
many fronts.

> problem is that our management prefers "proven" solutions (i.e deployed by
> other ISPs) and the only proven solutions I'm aware of are full blown CGN
> solutions.

Please take cgn off the table if possible.

At this point i will suggest that you also consider rfc6877. It is better
than ipv4 only cgn since major traffic source (netflix, fb, google,
youtube....) are already ipv6 end to end.

t-mobile us has deployed rfc6877 to over 25 million subscribers.  It is
baked and works well for mobile, but you asked for residential. Rfc6877
also covers the fixed line case too.

Anyhow, the solution that is best for your network is the one that proves
itself best in your own testing and proof of concept. This will show
deal-breakers and vapor ware

Proof of concepts and friendly trials with real customers are much more
insightful than anything you will learn on this list.

I would avoid 6rd unless you have and L1 or L2 limitation that prevents
native ipv6.

I would avoid ipv4 only cgn entirely since the roi will be so poor, it is a
move backwards and you will have to do the real ipv6 project again in a few
years.

That's why I was trying to find commercially deployed cases based on either