Something with filters

Eric Vyncke (evyncke) evyncke at cisco.com
Thu Aug 28 16:56:13 CEST 2014

Hi Enno,

Regarding a 3GPP phone, AFAIK, it receives a /64 so it is scalable and
easy to enforce uRPF at the very first layer-3 routers. Same for a home
CPE (with a very minor impact, uRPF has same performance as plain
forwarding == same lookup technique) and anyway the BNG/BRAS does DHCP-PD
snooping and should do uRPF as well. Pretty much like in IPv4.

But, we may indeed suspect that uRPF on a longer prefix such as /96 (??)
could be as efficient as forwarding to a /96 which is rumored to be less
efficient than forwarding to a prefix shorter than 64. Just a wild guess
(and please do not assume some magical knowledge of mine based on my email
address)

-éric