SMTP over IPv6 : gmail classifying nearly all IPv6 mail as spam since 20140818

Matthew Huff mhuff at ox.com
Sat Aug 23 17:52:40 CEST 2014

Nick, I would expect the response will be silence. Since the current RBL methods are not currently operational with IPv6 due to design issues and that IPv4 reputation is a large part of anti-spam, there is a fundamental difference currently between the two protocols. As IPv6 smtp ramps up, I would expect more to move to Googles direction than vice versa. The idea that you will be able to send email from an IPv6 address without rDNS, SPF and DKIM and have it end up in anything other than the spam folder is a pipe dream. Hell, I helped a friend that was running a hosted domain with only IPv4 and he had difficulty getting email delivered to corporate emails systems without SPF/DKIM. The SMTP world is changing, I doubt it is going to go back.