SMTP over IPv6 : gmail classifying nearly all IPv6 mail as spam since 20140818

Jared Mauch jared at puck.Nether.net
Fri Aug 22 21:34:04 CEST 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 12:26:25PM -0700, Lorenzo Colitti wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 12:17 PM, Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> wrote:
>
> > > I'm not on the gmail team and don't have those numbers. Nick asked me for
> > > an answer, and I gave him what information I have. My assumption was that
> > > since they do receive a lot of email, they have statistics on this, but
> > of
> > > course you may not agree with that assumption and assume that they're
> > just
> > > doing this for whatever other arbitrary reason.
> >
> >         Lorenzo, (can you pass this question to the team at least?)
> >

> What specifically would you like me to pass on? "Dear gmail team, can you
> please publicly present data on IPv4 spam vs IPv6 spam in order to justify
> your documented policy?" ?

	Sure, aggregate stats or details would be helpful.

	I'm really not questioning the policies, but details of the
impact (positive) from using these would be pretty cool.  I know I reject
lots of spam and junk on my host.  Google obviously is larger than
my small operation, but I manage to not get blacklisted by aol/google/yahoo.

	Even if it's just 1% of mail comes from IPv6 and 99% comes from
IPv4 and rejection stats would be interesting.

	(bonus points for listing % of emails that arrive via STARTTLS/SSL
to be interesting).

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net