SMTP over IPv6 : gmail classifying nearly all IPv6 mail as spam since 20140818

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Fri Aug 22 18:44:50 CEST 2014

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 12:12:57PM -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:
> > > email operators on what to do for IPv6 SMTP inbound.
> >
> > Well... some think it's a good idea, and there is an IETF draft, which
> > largely failed to get support.
> >
> > I think it's a very bad idea to have stronger requirements on IPv6 mail
> > than on IPv4, as it is yet another obstacle to IPv6 deployment - but
> > maybe that's just me, and I have a slighly different focus than most
> > religious anti-spammers.
>
> 	I think requiring a PTR isn't that high of a bar.  If you're on
> a host without support of doing a v6 PTR, you likely aren't on good
> hosting location and should relay via a host that does have a v6 PTR.

No, PTR record is fine (and people do that for IPv4 as well).

I should have been more clear on the context - that was about requiring
DKIM, SPF, etc. for IPv6 while not doing so for IPv4.

The I-D I was referring to is

  https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-martin-smtp-ipv6-to-ipv4-fallback/

Quote from the Introduction: "This behavior could be useful in, for
instance, enforcing higher requirements for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
(SMTP) sessions over IPv6 than what exists on IPv4 without simply rejecting
the message outright."

> 	I don't care if my phone/ipad/desktop have a PTR, and they
> all relay via hosts that are dual-stacked, and require smtp-auth to relay.
> They shouldn't be connecting directly to google.

Agree.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444           USt-IdNr.: DE813185279