AAAA records (was: Re: IPv6 packets with HBH)

Jens Link lists at quux.de
Thu Aug 7 13:05:24 CEST 2014

Fernando Gont <fernando at gont.com.ar> writes:

Hi,

> This is the current state of affairs on the public IPv6 Internet:
> <http://www.iepg.org/2014-07-20-ietf90/iepg-ietf90-ipv6-ehs-in-the-real-world-v2.0.pdf>

After reading slide 7 I decided to take a closer look at those "funny"
IPv6  addresses. I used host to get AAAA record for the Alexa Top
1Milion domains, and after a lot of DNS lookups I found the following:

70502 GLOBAL-UNICAST
94 IPV4MAP
50 LOOPBACK
49 LINK-LOCAL-UNICAST
30 RESERVED (including 9 RFC 3849 (2001:db8)  addresses)
19 IPV4COMP
5 UNSPECIFIED
1 UNIQUE-LOCAL-UNICAST

I planing to modify my script to look for 6to4 and teredo, speed up DNS
lookups and maybe adding www to any Domain without a AAAA record and
runs these test on a monthly base. Any more ideas?

Jens