"Well known" multicast RDNS ?

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Tue Sep 17 20:08:48 CEST 2013

Hi,

GGM wrote:

[...]

> I think ?Leo? observed that for multicast in general, IANA actually does
> provide
> some services, and its possible/arguable a certain class of address
> deserves real
> delegation. I don't personally think the link-locals are in this set.

If I remember correctly, the IPv4 multicast address space already had DNS
entries and we merely provided a reliable DNS infrastructure for them.
Peter, Joe and I did some work on an I-D to move the forward DNS for IPv4
from mcast.net to a new mcast.arpa and to establish reverse delegations
for the IPv6 multicast addresses. There didn't seem to be much interest in
doing this work, though so it didn't go anywhere.

If there is renewed interest then I expect we could pick things up again.

But answering Brandon's original question, I think the main reason that
there's no DNS for the IPv6 multicast addresses is a lack of clear
direction on what should be done. We'd be happy to implement it once we
have that.

Kind regards,

Leo