"Well known" multicast RDNS ?

Brandon Applegate brandon at burn.net
Sat Sep 14 03:18:20 CEST 2013

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013, David Conrad wrote:

> Would ip6.arpa PTR service be helpful? (no opinion, just curious)
>
> The v4 multicast PTRs didn't seem to be used all that much.

I would agree with this, probably not used much.  Seems like a trivial
thing to get delegated and set up though (unless I'm missing something).

If it is trivial (i.e. for IANA to host it) - I was just wondering why it
was done for ipv4 and not ipv6.

The one example that came to mind would be a sniffer doing DNS lookups.
It can be helpful sometimes to have the answer come up directly in the
capture instead of back and forth to IANA's website.

--
Brandon Applegate - CCIE 10273
PGP Key fingerprint: