PTR records for IPv6

David Magda dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca
Fri Sep 6 16:04:22 CEST 2013

On Fri, September 6, 2013 06:43, Tim Chown wrote:
> On 6 Sep 2013, at 04:58, Lorenzo Colitti <lorenzo at google.com> wrote:
>> For example, suppose a given host has both 2001:db8:0:1::12 (static) and
>> 2001:db8:0:1:d723:fa68:bb1a:0743 (privacy). You would want to tell the
>> host to use the static address for your prefixes and the privacy address
>> for everything else.
>>
>> You can do that using the privacy preference flag defined in
>> draft-ietf-6man-addr-select-opt-11.
>
> I'll have to go back and look now it's been around the IESG, but from
> memory the privacy flag in that spec is global, not per prefix. In an
> earlier version it was per prefix, e.g. to 'forbid' privacy addresses on
> ULAs, but I recall that was reverted based on WG feedback.
>
> There was an I-D proposing a privacy flag for RAs, which was per prefix,
> but that was dismissed quite quickly by the WG, see
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-6man-managing-privacy-extensions-01.

As an IT guy that works at a place that deals health information, it'd
really be handy to be able to be both very anonymous and very trackable
depending on different situations when we go to IPv6. Having a per-prefix
option would be useful.

Currently we'd have to go with DHCPv6 temporary addresses if we want such
a thing, which isn't an unreasonable solution, but it'd be handy to have
SLAAC/RA as an option as well to provide such functionality.