PTR records for IPv6

Ignatios Souvatzis ignatios at cs.uni-bonn.de
Fri Sep 6 09:56:21 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 04:20:48PM +0200, S.P.Zeidler wrote:

> I would like to ask application developers to make it configurable.
> I'm a server admin most of my time and I like a combination of reasonable
> default and the ability to change it best. Of course that leaves the
> question what a reasonable default is. :)

Exactly.

While I have some sympathy for privacy addresses for outgoing
connections for WWW browsers accessing random global destinations,
some specific connections will identify you anyway and benefit from
a controlled address. E.g., the Windows LPD *client* should use an
identifiable address; mostly you won't get printing authorization
without that, and it's oranization internal anyway. Similar for
remote login protocols like ssh, which often are restricted to a
small set of allowed addresses in addition to other restrictions.

This is not something that can be decided at the "this machine is
a server" - "this is a client" boundary; the same machine will want
to act identifiable for some application and anonymized for others.

	-is