PTR records for IPv6

Marco Sommani marcosommani at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 13:31:17 CEST 2013

On 02/set/2013, at 12:08, Mohacsi Janos <mohacsi at niif.hu> wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Sep 2013, Marco Sommani wrote:
>
>> On 02/set/2013, at 10:04, Mohacsi Janos <mohacsi at niif.hu> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>>

>>> In my opinion  requiring PTR for unauthenticated SMTP session is reasonable:
>>> - For authenticated sessions (users sending mails to SMTP server for delivery) this is not necessary - since user is identified by the authentication
>>> - For non-authenticated sessions (mail delivery between MTAs and between relay servers) is reasonable to ask your partner who you are talking to. If there is no better method than PTR, than rely on PTR.  So you have a defined server for MTA purpose, why you don't put PTR record on it? The your partner can build some credibility information on this server...
>>
>> Yes, but we must not forget temporary addresses. If the MTA has temporary addresses, then it will prefer them for its smtp sessions. So, one should either disable temporaries on all MTAs or use DNS dynamic updates. I think that it would be much wiser to deprecate PTR checks for IPv6.
>
> Why would you use temporary address on a defined SMTP server?

I do not want to use them. I'm just concerned because most recent operating systems activate temporaries by default and, according to rfc6724 (the new version of rfc3484), when the source address of a new session can be public or temporary, the temporary should be preferred. On the other hand, it is also true that almost all Unix operating systems (with the exception of OSX) do not activate temporaries by default, so in the real world there is not such a big danger.

Marco