Over-utilisation of v6 neighbour slots

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Thu Oct 24 12:35:31 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 09:59:38AM +0000, Benedikt Stockebrand wrote:
> > I assert that rolling the address on a timer, not on power/link
> > activity, is the intent of the RFCs, and the desired behaviour, and
> > that Apple are doing the wrong thing here.
>
> This is too simple: If I want to avoid people/devices being tracked when
> moving from one link to another, then I need to use a new temporary
> address whenever I switch between links.

link address = md5(prefix+randombits)

not that hard, ain't it?

So when changing links, you get a different temporary address, if you
go back, and the timer (that goes into "randombits") has not yet fired,
you get the same one you had before.

ISTR that Fernando has a draft about that already.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444           USt-IdNr.: DE813185279