Over-utilisation of v6 neighbour slots

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Oct 21 21:35:00 CEST 2013

All,

We ran into an "interesting" issue on our wireless network today, caused
mainly by the known behaviour of Apple clients in generating fresh
privacy addresses every time there's a power sleep/wake state change
(i.e. a lot) combined with a non-default NS/ND config on our side.

Specifically, our Cisco 6500/sup720 ran out of IPv6 FIB slots, as
num_routes + num_neighs exceeded 32k (the default IPv4/IPv6 TCAM split
on this platform being 192k/32k).

This was probably exacerbated by longer-than-default NS cache timeouts
on our part, recommended in response to CPU issues we faced as discussed
here:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cisco/nsp/161344

To combat the issue I cranked the "nd reachable-time" down from 900 to
300 seconds and re-carved the TCAM to give 64k IPv6 and reloaded, but it
was all most troubling. To give an idea why, some stats:

10576 distinct MAC addresses with 1+ global IPv6 addresses
29610 IPv6 addresses (not including LL)
25.3% of hosts with >= 4 v6 address
17299 IPv6 addresses consumed by that 25.3%

That is, ~25% of hosts consuming ~59% of the addresses in-use. OUIs for
the MAC addresses in question were almost entirely Apple. Distribution was:

         frequency    rel.     cum.

  1        4651     43.98%   43.98% ***************
  2        2084     19.70%   63.68% *******
  3        1164     11.01%   74.69% ***
  4         729      6.89%   81.58% **
  5         560      5.30%   86.88% *
  6         387      3.66%   90.54% *
  7         276      2.61%   93.14%
  8         206      1.95%   95.09%
  9         177      1.67%   96.77%
10         120      1.13%   97.90%
11          70      0.66%   98.56%
12          50      0.47%   99.04%
13          26      0.25%   99.28%
14          29      0.27%   99.56%
15          16      0.15%   99.71%
16          13      0.12%   99.83%
17           9      0.09%   99.91%
18           5      0.05%   99.96%
19           1      0.01%   99.97%
20           2      0.02%   99.99%
24           1      0.01%  100.00%

Some questions:

  1. Has anyone else run into this sort of thing (neighbour table
exhaustion) and what kind of approach did you take to solving or
ameliorating it? DHCPv6?

  2. Does anyone know if Apple (and other vendors) understand the
negative consequences of their aggressive rotation of IPv6 privacy
addresses, and are going to address it?

  3. Does anyone know if any equipment vendors have more intelligent
strategies for handling this kind of situation - LRU expiry of v6
neighbours at >90% util rather than self-destructing FIB overflow, for
example ;o)

[We're aware the sup720 is old, but it seems like this could be an issue
even for more recent devices at sufficient scale]

Cheers,
Phil