Issue with ibgp and IPv6

Jonty Hewlett jonty at positive-internet.com
Fri Oct 11 01:06:36 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I wonder if you could point me towards the right direction here...

2 Debian boxes running Quagga, connected to 2 different transit
providers, both receiving a full v4 tables and working fine.  iBGP fine etc.

I've started to add v6 to our transits (sorry, a little behind!).

I have (so far) got one of our transit providers peering v6, and the BGP
is working fine (router1)

I have then configured router1 to talk to BGP to router2.  Router2 does
NOT yet have v6 transit, just v4.  I am expecting router2 to 'see' all
the v6 routes are via router1 and just forward all traffic.

However the rate at which router2 is learning routes from router1 is SO
slow.

Router 1:

r1# show ipv6 bgp summary
BGP router identifier x.x.x.x, local AS number xxxx
RIB entries 27004, using 2532 KiB of memory
Peers 4, using 18 KiB of memory

Neighbor        V    AS MsgRcvd MsgSent   TblVer  InQ OutQ Up/Down
State/PfxRcd
2001:xxxx:xxxx:8e6::1
                4  xxxx  186002   19073        0    0    0 01w6d06h    14085

2606:xxxx:xxxx:64::3
                4 xxxx  276399  304443        0    0    0 00:14:58        0

Total number of neighbors 2

So the top entry is the full 14085 routes from our transit, nothing from
the 2nd peer, router2 as that has no v6 transit (yet), so expected
behaviour.

But on router2:

r2# sh ipv6 bgp summary
BGP router identifier xx.xx.xx.xx, local AS number xxxx
RIB entries 5, using 480 bytes of memory
Peers 3, using 13 KiB of memory

Neighbor        V    AS MsgRcvd MsgSent   TblVer  InQ OutQ Up/Down
State/PfxRcd
2606:xxxx:xxxx:64::2
                4 46130   89859   69214        0    0    0 00:18:11        2

Total number of neighbors 1

It has only received 2 routes from router1!

Could it be router2 is only receiving updates from router1 and not the
whole table?  I would expect / want to see all 14085.  I have disabled
any ingress filters (just for testing!)....stuck...help?

Hope I haven't unwittingly broken a any list etiquette!

Thanks

Jonty

--
All postal correspondence to:
The Positive Internet Company, 24 Ganton Street, London. W1F 7QY

*Follow us on Twitter* @posipeople

The Positive Internet Company Limited is registered in England and Wales.
Registered company number: 3673639. VAT no: 726 7072 28.
Registered office: Northside House, Mount Pleasant, Barnet, Herts, EN4 9EE.