Microsoft: Give Xbox One users IPv6 connectivity

Christopher Palmer Christopher.Palmer at microsoft.com
Thu Oct 10 21:35:05 CEST 2013

On the native side, it's important to note that the traffic is IPsec protected, so the protocol and port information may be obfuscated and is in general is not predictable.

IKEv2 traffic is predictable, but we won't be using UPnP on the IPv6 side to enable in-bound IKEv2. Hopefully people follow the IETF recommendation and allow inbound IPsec/IKE to simply work. If not, it'll further encourage usage of traditional P2P mechanisms like Teredo, and we (as an industry) will have to put more energy into UPnP or PCP. That would be highly regrettable.

The thing about protocols like UPnP - the vendors who would ignore an IETF recommendation are likely to be the same vendors to skip out on making an adequate UPnP stack. Most people today do NOT have home routers that support UPnP.